- The EISA Consumer Smartphone of the Year 2018 dishes up Android 9 Pie; first smartphone globally to roll out Android 9 Pie on Qualcomm 660 mobile platform
- Android 9 Pie puts AI at the core of the operating system with added focus on intelligence simplicity and digital wellbeing (available this autumn)
28th September 2018 - HMD Global, the home of Nokia phones, has announced the roll out of Android 9 Pie on EISA’s Consumer Smartphone of the Year, the Nokia 7 Plus. Fans will start receiving Android 9 Pie on their Nokia 7 Plus today*.
Packed with Google’s intuitive software, and only the most essential apps loaded, the Nokia 7 Plus serves Android 9 Pie with no bloatware, skins UI changes or hidden processes eating up your battery life. This upgrade builds upon the strong features of Android 8.0 Oreo?, and focuses on a more tailored experience with emphasis on AI, machine learning and digital wellbeing.
The Nokia 7 Plus powered by Android 9 Pie creates the most efficient Nokia smartphone yet. Advances in machine learning and AI features, such as Adaptive Battery and App Actions, ensure smarter resourcing of power and processing and accelerate smartphone functionality.
Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer, HMD Global, said:
“We constantly strive to deliver on our promise of offering pure, secure, up-to-date Android on Nokia smartphones. Today, we are extremely delighted to start the roll out of Android 9 Pie on Nokia 7 Plus – making us among the first to offer the latest innovations from Google, including Android One exclusive features such as App Notifications, to the value flagship tier.”
As part of the Android One family, the Nokia 7 Plus will introduce App Actions – a new feature unique to Android One devices and Google Pixel phones running Android 9 Pie. App Actions learns more about your daily usage and assists you with your everyday tasks. Your Nokia 7 Plus will predict and recommend your next action at the moment it’s needed the most - whether it’s business, music or lifestyle.
The Nokia 7 Plus is optimised to extract every bit of juice from the already powerful battery. With Adaptive Battery, Android 9 Pie uses deep learning to understand patterns in phone usage and prioritises battery power for apps that are important to you.
The Nokia 7 Plus is optimised to extract every bit of juice from the already powerful battery. And now with Adaptive Battery, Android 9 Pie uses deep learning to understand patterns in phone usage and prioritises battery power for your favourite apps.
As well as smart technology advances, from fall 2018, the new update will come with added Digital Wellbeing features to help encourage breaks from screen time. New functionalities include highlighting device time on your Dashboard, the ability to set time limits for app usage and Wind Down Mode which fades your phone to grayscale and activates Do Not Disturb at a predetermined time in the evening. Nokia smartphones have long encouraged digital downtime with the inclusion of Nokia 3310 and Nokia 8110 to our range supporting time off from scrolling.
Key features of Android 9 Pie
- App actions – Helps you get things done faster by predicting your next move and displaying the right action on your phone
- Slices – Identifies relevant information of your favourite apps to make them more easily accessible when you need them
- Adaptive battery – Uses deep learning to understand usage patterns and prioritise battery power on important apps
- Adaptive brightness – Automatically adapts phone brightness by learning from your interactions with different settings
- New System navigation – Features a single home button that provides intelligent predictions and suggestions (user enabled)
Digital Wellbeing features available from Autumn 2018
- Dashboard – Highlights screen time and phone usage including how many times device has been unlocked and number of notifications received
- App Timers – Set time limits on app usage
- Wind Down and Do Not Disturb – Set a daily schedule to get your phone ready for bed. Your screen fades to Grayscale, while Do Not Disturb silences notifications for a restful sleep. You can activate Do Not Disturb anytime you want to disconnect.
For further information, please contact: HMD Press Office: email@example.com
Notes to Editors
Pure, secure and up-to-date Android
Nokia smartphones come with a pure, secure and up-to-date Android experience, ensuring your phone has the latest Google innovations, regular security patches and no unnecessary UI changes or hidden processes that would eat up your battery life.
Android Oreo? also boosts the enterprise credentials of smartphones by streamlining the deployment of devices, creating distinct personal and professional profiles and improving security. With Android zero-touch enrolment, a feature first introduced in Android Oreo?, organisations can deploy a Nokia smartphone with enterprise mobility management settings pre-configured. The phones can be configured online and drop-shipped to employees so that they can start using their Nokia phones right out of the box. Nokia smartphones with Android Oreo? from Nokia 3 and up support zero-touch enrolment.
The Nokia 7 Plus is part of the Android One family delivering an experience designed by Google that is smart, secure and simply amazing. Nokia smartphones with Android One offer more storage and battery life out of the box. The latest AI-powered innovations from our friends at Google to help you stay ahead of the game every day. Nokia 7 Plus will receive three years of monthly security patches and two years of OS updates, as guaranteed in the Android One programme.
Nokia smartphone Android Oreo? and Android 9 Pie upgrade dates
* Announcement dates to OM, variable in regions and operators
About HMD Global
Headquartered in Espoo, Finland, HMD Global Oy is the home of Nokia phones. HMD designs and markets a range of smartphones and feature phones targeted at a range of consumers and price points. With a commitment to innovation and quality, HMD is the proud exclusive licensee of the Nokia brand for phones and tablets. For further information, see www.savassenel.com.
Nokia is a registered trademark of Nokia Corporation. Android, Google and other marks are trademarks of Google LLC; Oreo is a trademark of Mondelez International, Inc. group.